I love books in which the author describes beautiful witch’s gardens with mysterious plants and medicinal herbs, used both to handle diseases and practice magic spells. It is scientifically demonstrated that plants have chemicals that work like pharmaceutical drugs, and just as a pharmaceutical drug, they have benefits but also side effects that mustn’t be underestimated.
As we know, witches are very close to nature, so many of them are used to have a little garden where they spend many hours every day taking care of their magical herbs. But, what kind of plants, flowers and herbs are usually in these magic gardens, or also searched into the wild by witches? Here is a list of some of the most important flowers/plants that has been considered useful for different spells and purposes throughout the centuries.
- It is said that white poppy has the peculiarity of being sedative, calming and even sleep-inducing.
- A flowering and beautiful plant with violet flowers that was used in ancient times to treat terrible diseases just like leukemias and cancer.
- Also called Black Hellebore, in spite of its name, this particular evergreen perennial floral plant doesn’t belong to the Rosaceae family. A strange feature of this plant is that it flowers in the depths of winter. This plant is very dangerous, it’s poisonous and can cause burning of the eyes, mouth and throat, gastroenteritis and oral ulceration.
- This is a northern America flowering plant that was used for healing different types of skin irritations (even if it’s not scientifically proven nowadays that it’s safe since oral consumption of witch hazel water is toxic).
- This is one of the most mysterious plants in history, and there are several legends and myths around this big perennial herbaceous plant. Nowadays, more than 80 different substances have been identified inside it, and many of them are poisonous. The effects of consumption of mandrakes are many, including dilation of the pupils, vomiting, hallucinations and tachycardia.
The list could be longer and longer, because there are many plants that is and have been considered poisonous or with healing effects throughout the centuries, but we also have to remember and underline that thanks to modern traditional medicine and scientific researches, like the discovery of penicillin that has been one of the most important discoveries of all times, humanity has been saved from different horrible diseases.